Sunday, November 27, 2011

Lay Off My Boy

"I didn't do it on porpoise!"


I've drafted several posts about the Ndamukong Suh situation--its something that clearly needs to be addressed. I've thought about several different angles. I'm irritated, as I have expressed already in the short life of this blog, that the media is spending more time talking about it than about actual football. I'm irritated that people are overreacting. I'm irritated that he made a bonehead play and really hurt our team in that game and potentially in future games if he is unable to play due to a suspension. There's really not that much else to say. I am compelled to post however, because there is one thing that nobody is saying. There is one thing I can't get past, that I would like people to remember when forming their opinions of Ndamukong Suh, a player whose personality I've never liked, but whose work ethic and professionalism off the field have never left me concerned about him as a member of the team for which I root.


Ndamukong Suh is just 24 years old. He is in his second year as a professional. How did you act in the second year of your career? You may not have kicked anybody, but you certainly made some mistakes. Suh cannot get much better physically. Most NFL players can't. The reason players get better for the first few years of their careers is because they get smarter. They gain experience. They learn. Give the kid a break. He's got a long career ahead of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment